What about Board and Care?
These are licensed assisted living homes – just like the bigger communities.
- Subject to the same laws and inspections
- Owners are licensed administrators
- Some have hospice waivers
Where do these residential, board and care communities fit in?
- More frail seniors who need closer supervision and oversight – most have 2 caregivers for the average of 6 residents, all day, and some have one awake caregiver at night.
- Caregivers can be supervised to implement physical therapy on a more ongoing basis
- Some communities owned by RN’s, can administer sliding scale diabetic care
- Will hand feed, and prepare special meals
- Able to anticipate and diffuse behaviors much more readily with fewer distractions.
- Hospice friendly – if they have hospice waivers in place.
- All work with full incontinence, more quickly and during the night.
- ALL INCLUSIVE PRICING NOT LIKELY TO INCREASE DURING THE TIME OF RESIDENCY.
In San Diego County, pricing ranges from $1200 (rarely) to $10,000 (also rarely), but most are$2000-$4500 per month depending on land value, and the amount of competition in the area.
NO LONGER MUST FRAIL SENIORS GO TO A NURSING HOME. FOR LONG TERM CARE, THEY WILL RECEIVE MORE CARE IN A RESIDENTIAL BOARD AND CARE HOME.
Time to Move Care Placement ©2012